Quarantine from a 20 Year Old's Perspective

First off, let's take a look at where I was before COVID-19 shut everything down and social distancing and quarantine were put into place. Picture this: a young girl walks through the cobbled streets of Florence past the infamous Duomo with gelato in hand. Beautiful image, right? It's very adequate to say where I am and what I'm doing now is a full 180 from that.

My typical daily routine during the week looks like this:
-wake up between 8:30 and 9:00
-find an at-home workout on YouTube
-shower & get ready
-make a smoothie for breakfast
-read my Bible and journal (I'm reading the Bible in 90 days with a group from my church)
-start on my schoolwork
-eat lunch
-continue schoolwork
-go for a walk/hike/bike ride with my family on nice days
-read or watch Netflix
-scroll through Tik Tok or convince my family to make one
-family dinner
-watch a movie with my family
-continue through the queue of documentaries- most true crime- I want to watch

Now mix in FaceTime and Zoom chats with friends, family, and church small groups, games, painting, church on the couch Sunday morning, and a variety of other classes here and there. Oh, and don't forget all the eating.

My life is much more structured and restricted than a month ago. I'm not traveling to whatever city I choose and buying train tickets on a whim. Instead, I'm making Iowa State collages for my desktop screen saver and attempting to read The Chronicles of Narnia. I went a week shy of two months without seeing my family and now we've spent nearly every hour together for four weeks. Easter looked different from any other I've ever lived through. I had all the freedom in the world, and now I can hardly leave my house. In fact, one of the few constants in my life is that I still have no clue what my Italian professor is saying.

I'm sad I can't see my friends. I'm disappointed I had to leave Italy. I miss my friends I made abroad. I wish I could go to a movie or grab coffee with a friend at a local coffee shop. I want a tattoo of the Florence skyline. I'm upset I spent so much on tuition for what turned out to be online classes at my house in Iowa. I yearn to hear some live music at a concert. I no longer have a job. I need to give my friends a hug.

BUT

I love the family time, and I admit sometimes I'm surprised at how well we are all still getting along. I love that I have the time to read the Bible and focus on my faith. I love that I am getting a break from the countless clubs and jobs I typically have. I love enjoying my mom's cooking. And I love getting to see my dog every day.

I know this situation is entirely out of my control, and I realize how vital it is to follow the guidelines we have been given to protect ourselves and others. I see how much pain, loneliness, and fear this pandemic has brought, but I also see the good peaking through.

The first week I was home I saw glimpses of Jesus of the Today show at least four times. I've seen people show more kindness and in the most creative ways, too. There are hearts on every window and cheers for the deserving healthcare workers. Teachers are proving resources for students, and essential workers are keeping things powered and shelves stocked. Neighbors are helping neighbors, and people everywhere are working hard to lend a hand. Mister Rogers once said that his mother told him to look for the helpers during scary times because there would always be helpers. We can choose to fixate on the negative, or we can make the conscious decision to look for the helpers and concentrate on the good.

This season of our lives is nothing like what any of us anticipated. It's a quieter season for some and close to a living hell for others. It brings rest, and it brings fear. However, it's a season we must live through nonetheless. And when this season is over and we all try to return to "normal," I hope it's a new normal. One where we realized the importance of taking time to be with loved ones virtually or physically. (I sometimes wonder why it took a pandemic for my family to try zoom meetings) A normal where taking time off to be with family is less scrutinized. A normal where trying new recipes and spending time outside becomes part of our daily routine. A normal where we focus on our health. A normal with more family game nights and more family dinners. A normal where we truly appreciate the time we have with those we love and start being fully present in the moment. A normal where we prioritize things a bit differently and kindness spills out of us without a second thought.

So I hold onto the hope of what that season will bring while looking for the helpers and for the good in this one.

Self-timer picture from Easter morning

Comments

  1. I love you Danielle, and I love your faith and the wise perspective you have of life and all it brings on you. Thank you again for another great blog with another great message.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment