Experiences Over Objects

Growing up I was absolutely blessed, and I still am. I always had clothes to wear, a place to sleep, and knew where my next meal would come from. I had great toys, books, and much more. Yet, there were times I looked at the toys and the material objects of my peers and become envious. What I didn't realize was how my parents were blessing me with experiences over these luxurious things.

As a 19-year-old, I have traveled places many people have never even thought to go. These places include Mexico, Washinton D.C., Chicago, Orlando, St. Louis, Texas, South Dakota, Alabama, Memphis, Nashville, Denver, South Carolina, Branson, and countless more lakes. I have also been boating and camping all over Iowa and traveled for many family holidays. There have been countless day trips to the zoo and more family game nights than I could possibly count.

Fam trip to Cozumel

Instead of collecting a surplus of objects that later were tossed to the Goodwill, my family helped me collect memories. As I look back now I treasure those memories much more than I could have with any doll or gaming system I may have received. The craziest part of it all is the destination is not what made the trip great; it was the TIME SPENT TOGETHER as a family or with friends. My mom has a little wooden sign that sits on the window sill above the kitchen sink that reads, "the greatest thing to spend on children is time," and that could not be truer.

Sometimes we get too caught up on material objects. We focus on everything we don't have instead of being grateful for all that we do have. I know I'm guilty of it, and I'm sure a few of you reading this may feel the same. The truth is that new pair of shoes I just have to buy won't make any difference to me in a few years, but going to a see my favorite artist in concert with my best friend is something I will cherish for many years to come.

Now, of course, I understand these experiences can also be very costly, and may not be a viable option for everyone. However, the main point of my message is time together trumps any material object. You know what they say, you can't take it with you when you go.

Comments