So I Decided to Try Something New

I have some extremely exciting news to share if I haven't told you already. I am fortunate enough to be able to study abroad this upcoming Spring semester in Florence, Italy. I will be attending Lorenzo de 'Medici Institute and taking five amazing classes. Those classes include Event Planning, Marketing, World Religion, Travel Writing, and Italian. To say I am excited is an understatement.

I can still remember last April when I started thinking that going abroad for a whole semester was something I would want to do. There are literally endless reasons why studying abroad is beneficial, so I didn't have any trouble coming up with some solid ones to cement my decision.

Immersing oneself into another culture can teach skills that could not be learned any other way. We all bring so much to the table, and meeting so many new people with such different life experiences is sure to enhance my personal growth and education. I am highly confident my worldly perspective will also be altered after this next semester. There's no better time to explore and try something new than in college. I have freedom and time I may never have again. Really the question is why wouldn't I go? And frankly, I can't think of one good answer.

However, deciding to go was only step one. I was then tasked with what seemed like the impossible mission of deciding where to go. I knew I wanted to be somewhere in Europe, but I had no idea of any specifics.

After some more research I finally landed on Italy, Florence specifically. There are so many reasons why this is the perfect location for me, but I'll just list a few main reasons. For starters, the school I will be attending in Florence has some amazing event planning classes that will give me once in a lifetime professional experiences. Secondly, the history and culture in Florence are incredibly rich, but the city itself is not quite as huge or populated as other places such as Rome. The third reason Italy seemed like the perfect place was how easy it is to travel to nearby countries. Not only will I be able to see Italy, but I will also be able to see France, Greece, Germany, Austria, England, or countless others. Not to mention how many great cities are in Italy itself; cities like Rome, Piza, Venice, Siena, or Milan.

I am about to enter a season of my life that will be unlike any other, but I am so excited to see the places I'll go, the sights I'll see, the food I'll eat, the people I'll meet, and the cultures I'll learn. Stay tuned folks, the adventure is just getting started.

Just look at this place!
Image Credits: https://www.departures.com/travel/florence-italy-travel-guide


Comments