F to the T to the K!

Saturday was one of my absolute favorite days of the year. It was the big event for Iowa State University's Dance Marathon.

This is a day where all the hard work over the previous year is celebrated, and everyone involved is given the chance to just be a kid. We stand for 15 straight hours and push final fundraising efforts. There's no trying to be cool or trying to "do it for the gram," just genuine smiles, laughter, love, and memories... oh and a lot of really bad dancing.

Iowa State's Dance Marathon specifically made a promise to the University of Iowa's Stead Family Children's Hospital to fully fund their new hemodynamics program. Promise made and promise kept. We successfully raised over $700,000 in two years to fund the first-ever hemodynamics program. This program focuses on how to treat premature baby hearts, and it is a research program so everything learned can be shared worldwide to help even more little babies and their hearts. So far 600 babies have been treated in Iowa City, but countless more are going to benefit.

This past year I was lucky enough to serve on the Family Relations Committee. Basically, this means connecting with the families a part of ISU DM by giving them updates, holding fun events for them, and supporting them in any way possible. On the day of the big event, it means being by their side at all times and ensuring this day is a special one.

The family I was assigned to over the course of the year, unfortunately, could not make the big event, but I feel so blessed to have gotten re-assigned to the family I was. They are truly an inspiration and warmed my heart with their outlook on life and willingness to help others. This family has what most would consider a full plate with their miracle kiddo, and yet they choose to open their home to foster children. I have never seen such loving hearts. To know them is to feel their love, and I can only hope they felt just how loved they are by all of ISU Dance Marathon.

All the families say they could never express just how grateful they are for the support from their Dance Marathon family, but I'm not sure any student who has even been a part of this organization could ever express how grateful we are for all the ways these kiddos and families have touched our lives and inspired us either.

I joined this organization to help make a difference in the lives of incredible miracle kiddos, their families, and children's healthcare, but I stay in this organization because it turns out they, along with all the other people involved, make a much bigger difference in mine. In my Instagram post yesterday I brought up the scripture Matthew 5:16, and I have been thinking about since. We are called to share our light with others, and ISU Dance Marathon has a very, very bright light.

THANK YOU to all who donated or supported in any other way. Together we can and are making a difference in children's healthcare. I feel honored just to say I am a part of something so special. FTK always. <3

Comments