Quick Look Back, Long Look Forward

December 31st, 2019. The end of the year, the end of a decade, and for some the end of an era.

As you look back on 2019 you may be feeling a variety of emotions: gratefulness, relief, joy, sadness, or peacefulness. As you look forward to 2020 you may be excited, questioning, nervous, or full of dread.

Last year, as 2019 was approaching, I was full of doubt. I had no idea how I was going to make it through the next year. The task seemed impossible. Little did I know, God had some big plans for me and was going to put some incredible people into my life. 2019 has been one of the best years, but for reasons that I would not have normally considered. God's plan for our lives is not always what we expect, but trusting Him will always turn out good.

So as you look back on all 2019 taught you, brought you, and took away, be proud that you made it through another year. Even more importantly, as you prepare for 2020 know that whether you are already full of excitement or wondering how you will make it through, trust that you will. God loves you and He's got your back.

I am a big fan of reflection and journaling. As I was writing today and thinking about 2019 as a whole I asked myself a few questions.

  1. Who was I at the beginning of 2019?
  2. Who am I now?
  3. What were the most defining moments of the year? 
  4. What was the most important lesson I learned?
I recommend answering these for yourself, too. The truth behind what I wrote was actually quite encouraging. Now, here are a few questions to consider for 2020.
  1. What is my biggest goal?
  2. Who am I now?
  3. Who do I want to be by 2021? 
  4. How can I be kind to someone else over the next year? 
I hope you feel encouraged as you look forward to all 2020 and the next decade will bring. I am very excited to not only see where God takes me, but also all of you. We are about to enter the roaring 20s for a second time, but I have a good feeling this decade will look a little bit different. The 1920s were full of parties for oneself, but the 2020s are going to be one long party for Jesus. God is truly on the move, and my oh my... I am excited. 

Oh, and I can't forget to say a quick thank you to everyone who has read a blog post of mine or offered a kind word over the last year. You guys are truly inspiring. Cheers to 2020 and another great trip around the sun!


Comments