The Power of Music

Music has always been a big part of my life. From as early in my childhood as I can remember, I would dance around the kitchen after dinner with my parents and eventually my two younger brothers. I know nearly all the words to every Casting Crowns song because it was my mom's favorite music to play when we were driving around in the minivan. When I was in first grade my Grandma Elliott started giving me piano lessons, and once I was old enough to join band at Tri-Center, I started playing my dad's old trumpet. I've sung in the community choir and the church choir, and I even gave show choir a try. I've made playlist after playlist, gone through many pairs of headphones, and have a prized collection of CD's. And who could forget the numerous times I have sung at church and couldn't finish the song because I got into a laughing fit over literally nothing except my own dorky self.


I have yet to meet someone who does not like music. I am not convinced they even exist. I've met people who do not like Chinese food. I've met multiple people who do not enjoy football. I've met countless people who very strongly dislike math, but someone who doesn't like music? I haven't met one of those.

The biggest reason, I think, for this is how diverse music is. There are so many different genres, melodies, and arrangements. While some songs may be similar, no two are exactly alike. The same goes for people. While we do have things in common, we all bring something unique to the table- including our music taste. A world of people who are carbon copies of each other would be completely boring and utterly disastrous, and music is no different. I could not imagine listening to one single song, artist, or even genre for the rest of my life. Playing my music on shuffle is a true gift because it helps me enjoy all the different types of music I have in my library. It's a great reminder of how beautiful our God-given differences are.

Music has so many functions it's almost ridiculous. It can hype you up before an important game. It helps people to praise God in worship. It can help you through a tough workout or a day in the office that seems extra long. It enhances a movie and will make or break every road trip. Music makes you smile when you're feeling down, and it's what you put on when you need to cry. It's what we dance to at weddings and every awkward school dance. It's the white noise when you're doing homework, and what you listen to while cleaning. Music is even apart of our personal hygiene since I'm sure all of you sing at the top of your lungs in the shower like the next American Idol just as I do.

In my human development class this past semester, we discussed how we attach emotions to our memories. I think we do the same with music. We feel specific emotions and/or associate certain memories with particular songs. Which is probably why you can remember the words to hundreds of songs but can't remember the Pythagorean theory or what you went to the store for. I know I will always think of boating on the lake when I hear songs like "Walking on Sunshine" or "Play That Funky Music" thanks to my dad's infamous 'Boating Playlist.' Anytime I listen to a song from Bruno Mar's 24K album, I think of how I listened to that album on repeat like every day in Personal Finance during my junior year of high school. The first time I heard "Reckless Love" on the radio I was driving to the NACC to ref a youth volleyball league the spring of my senior year of high school, and I was brought to tears. I had heard the song live a few months before at FCA's Weekend of Champions, and I was instantly reminded of the love of God and how the Holy Spirit had worked on my heart that weekend. However, there's no song that puts me in a better mood than "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." In fact, just last night I danced around my dorm room when it came on my Spotify after I finally finished a few hours of note-taking.

Music has the ability to move us to tears or put a big smile on our face. It's incorporated into so many aspects of our daily lives and is often a part of our biggest life moments. I know some of us are more musically gifted than others, but I believe everyone loves music in their own way. Do yourself a favor and listen to your favorite song, album, or artist today and reminisce the memories they bring with them.

Comments

  1. Wow! Just wow. Oh, and I will be listening to some music later when it's my "mom time.". Lots of reminiscing to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment