Why Wednesdays are My Favorite Day of Week

This past Sunday afternoon I met with a dear friend and role model, Haley Schepers. She is our pastoral intern at Lutheran Church of Hope Ames, and I consider her one of the biggest blessings. We chatted about life, faith, class, and everything in between. She brought up my blog and noted how she wished I had more time to write because she loves to read my posts. I then proceeded to tell her how I stopped trying to get so many posts out a month and just wrote when I was inspired to do so. A funny thing happened after our chat... I was inspired.

Coming to Iowa State I knew I wanted to find a place to plug-in to help me grow in my faith and find community. At orientation and the week before classes, I signed up for like 5 different groups on campus, but none of them were Kairos. After some trial and error, I thought I knew what group I was going to join. However, the first Wednesday of the semester a friend on my floor who grew up going to Hope West Des Moines invited me to go with her to Kairos. I walked into The Link and as they say, the rest is history.


My Jesus high after that first night at Kairos was indescribable. I seriously was bouncing off the walls and got like maybe two hours of sleep. But can you blame me? I had found my home away from home. Kairos is one of my favorite things about going to Iowa State and being in Ames, and here's a list of 10 reasons why:


1) Anyone who comes to Kairos or church is welcomed with open arms and the most LOVE. My bucket is full every time I leave The Link, and I think it's because the building is overflowing with pure love.

2) The messages are scripture-based and yet so relatable to what is going on in my life right now. It's like Danny knows just what you needed to hear that night. If you need stories and emotions, you'll get stories and emotions. If you need scripture and facts from the Bible, you get those, too.

3) There are so many ways to get plugged-in and grow outside of regular services: classes, Bible studies, house groups, and more. You want to grow in your faith? Kairos will do everything they can to ensure you are continually being pushed.

4) You are allowed to cry or laugh or clap or show whatever emotion you are feeling with zero judgments. I have cried at so many sermons it doesn't phase me anymore.

5) Kairos has the best worship team. Nothing better than praising Jesus in song and bringing Him glory. Plus, if you sway and dance a bit like I do, no one cares. We all praise Jesus our own way, and Kairos celebrates and accepts that.

6) There are snacks and therapy dogs every week. Need some comforting? Well, Kairos, ice cream, and Zosha have your back.

7) The community is incredible. You could come one week not knowing anyone and leave with at least one if not three new friends. Need a mentor to guide you in your faith? The community and connections go beyond peers your age; there are also great adults who genuinely want to help direct you as you grow in your faith and closer to Jesus.

8) The opportunities to serve others are endless. It could be volunteering at Kairos by reading scripture, helping tear-down, or even directing the parking. There are also amazing opportunities with our church like Hope Kids and other one time events like Hope Fights Hunger with Meals for the Heartland. Not to mention, the chance to serve on a mission trip.

9) Kairos is backed by an incredible church, Lutheran Church of Hope Ames. It's so great to not just hear a message and find community on Wednesdays but to also know that transfers over to Sunday mornings... and basically every other day of the week, too.

10) No one has an agenda, an ego, or even a selfish bone in their body. Everything is done to honor our God with the purest of intentions.

Pretty great right? Kairos is a Greek word that means "opportune time or defining moment for us to find new life" (Kairos). How fitting. I look back on that first night I walked in the doors to The Link; I felt the Holy Spirit instantly. Just imagine how excited God must have been as He was anticipating this moment where He knew I was going to find a place to help me grow closer to Him. A place that would help me and everyone else who walked through those same doors gain this new life.

Maybe you have already given your life to Christ and received this new life, or maybe you haven't. Either way, if you're a college student in Ames or Iowa City I encourage you to give Kairos a try. If you're not a college student or not in those places you can still hear all the amazing messages at these links:



I promise this is not something you'll regret. Kairos has changed my life for the better forever. I went from believing in God and having a relationship with Him to having a genuine friendship with Him and digging way deeper into the theology and foundation of scriptures. I owe all of my joy to God, but I know He used Kairos and Lutheran Church of Hope to help me find a lot of it.


Works Cited:
“Kairos (College Students).” Lutheran Church of Hope - Young Adult Ministry: REVIVE, 2019, www.lutheranchurchofhope.org/ames/connect/adult/kairos-college-students/.

Comments