And I Get to Call Him Dad

Every kid thinks their dad is the "best dad ever" when they're little, and hopefully, when they grow up they still think that. That stands true with me.

I have wanted to write a post about my dad for a while, but wow it has certainly been a challenge. I mean how do you put a father's love into words? I have typed and deleted word after word and sentence after sentence because none of them seemed to do my dad justice. Even writing this now I'm still not sure where to take this post and how to narrow all the thoughts and feelings I have down to a couple hundred words.

I guess I'll just start at the beginning. My most vivid memories of my dad from my early childhood included things like him coaching football and basketball, taking us boating on the Missouri River, leading around our pony E.O. while I was riding, going hunting with our dog Lady, dancing around the living room after dinner, reading books before bed, watching Zach and Kent try to wrestle him, and a bit more hair on his head. Back then my dad was a giant to me, and it's easy to see why I felt so safe with him.

Jump forward a few years to middle school and those safe feelings still remained, but now I was old enough to really grasp how much my dad does for everyone around him. Between Farm Bureau, our church's session, Group 3:16, mowing and scooping snow for our church, Neola Lions, singing and loading equipment for the Neola Community Choir, and helping coach Zach and Kent's teams, I'm still not sure how he manages to make it all look so easy and ensure we have plenty of family time.

As I continued to grow older throughout high school I still have the same view of my dad as I mentioned before,  but now it was slowly progressing into a more friendship-style relationship. Of course, I respect my dad and know he has the authority in this relationship, but the older I get the closer to him I feel.

I could probably write a book on all the great things my dad has done or all the amazing qualities and traits he has. However, I think if you take a look at how much he loves the people he cares about and how much they love him back you could learn a lot more. My dad is so much to so many different people: he's a teacher, a farmer, a boat driver, a husband, a best friend, a leader, a board member, and even more.

The best part about being his daughter is getting to see him as all of these amazing things and more. He's a goofball, responsible, caring, great water skier, laughs about farts more than my immature younger brothers, God-fearing, and always always puts his family first. Dan Elliott is a one of a kind man, and I get to call him "Dad."

Comments

  1. Beautiful tribute to a very deserving man, Danielle. Proud that I get to call him "friend."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment