Gratefulness

My schedule is always pretty crazy, but this past week has been one of the busiest of my summer. I have been running from activity to activity while managing summer classes and work. Now don't get me wrong, I have had the greatest time this week and have gotten to do so many fun things that I, of course, am so thankful for, but Wednesday night I hit a wall. I was dreading the two-hour drive back to Ames for work on Thursday and was wishing there was any way I could get out adulting for the day.

I like to listen to podcasts in the car, and this particular early morning drive I was listening to a message from The Porch on guess what topic???? GRATEFULNESS. Wowza did I feel convicted at that moment. 

The pastor in the podcast spoke about how everything is a gift from God and how God asks us to give thanks in all circumstances. Not necessarily be thankful for all circumstances, but to be able to find something to give thanks for through all situations. He discussed the story of Jesus healing a colony of 10 lepers, but only one of the men came back to verbally express his gratitude to Jesus. That one man was able to strengthen his relationship with Jesus by expressing his gratefulness. Saying thank you can truly deepen all the relationships in your life, and especially your relationship with God. 

The pastor went on to address the age-old question of whether the glass is half full or half empty. In his perspective, the glass is what you make it: if you're filling it up then it's half full, but if you're emptying it, then it's half empty. Essentially, if you're deciding to be thankful, you'll be able to see the glass half full and vice versa. 

So there I was driving to Ames silently complaining about all the day had in store when God ever so subtly reminded me of His command in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 to be thankful in all circumstances through the message in the podcast. I spent the next part of the drive counting my many blessings starting with the fact that I am so lucky to not only have a job to drive to but also a working car to get me there. I thanked God for allowing me to be up early enough to watch the sunrise. I thanked Him for giving me this time to rest in Him and enjoy the silence. I thanked Him for my loving family and friends, and then I thanked Him for a whole lot more.

Then the strangest thing happened... I had a really great day. I was able to cherish everything around me and feel truly grateful for my busy and sometimes hectic schedule. God really is with us always, and His love is soooo good. It can change your day, but more importantly, it can change your life. 

When you finish reading this, before you fall asleep tonight, or tomorrow when you wake up list five things you're thankful for and embrace the joy and blessings in your life. Everything is truly a gift from God, you just need to have an attitude of gratitude. 

Beautiful sunrise I had the chance to watch in full this morning.


Comments