Iowa Nice

There is a small chance that being born and raised in Southwest Iowa has led me to be slightly biased, but I'm pretty confident Iowans are the nicest people you could ever meet.

"Iowa nice." It's a phrase you hear regarding the undeniable kindness midwesterners seem to have. I honestly think it's just embedded into our DNA. Or maybe it's a by-product of having so many small towns and close-knit communities. Another possibility is that all the fresh air allows us to take a deep breath and remember what truly matters in life. It could be all of the 4-H clubs, FFA chapters, boy scout troops, girl scout troops, volunteer fire departments, Lions clubs, optimist, or legions across the state, or maybe it's the importance of hard work that all Iowans seem to understand.

Whatever it is, Iowans have it. How do I know? Because even at a school like Iowa State that has 36,000+ students, anytime someone enters a building in front of me they hold the door. And when I drive around on the highways I get the classic finger wave from people I don't even know. It's the way please and thank-you comes out of our mouths without even thinking twice. When you walk down the street, a smile and polite hello do not seem forced or even strange as they might in another part of the country. And time and time again I've seen communities come together to help those in need no matter what the circumstances are. It's clear by the way we'll gladly do a favor and except nothing in return. 

To many, Iowa is an afterthought of the U.S. However, anyone who's lived here or visited here knows the truth: Iowa is a treasure. The view is wonderful, but the people are even better. I can't say I won't leave this state I call home, but I can say with almost 100% certainty that I will return. Because "Iowa nice" is more than just some catchy phrase, it's the reason there's no better place to call home.


Comments